Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Flash Fiction by Linda M. Crate

Missing You

I miss you. It's been years since I've seen your smiling face. Years since I saw the sun dance through your crimson hair or laugh in your lovely blue bird's egg blue eyes.

I still love you, though, you've long since forgotten me. We haven't spent time together since twenty years ago!

I remember Cindy's party.

That's where we first met. You were radiant and dazzling in your favorite blue dress. The one that matched your eyes.

We became thick as thieves. We did everything together. I remember the time we spent  the day at the beach reading. You told me all your secrets, and all these years I've kept them.

I miss those days full of us.

We laughed together, cried together, raged together. Everything seemed to point to a forever love. Then one day you didn't need me anymore. I don't know why.

I still hung around, but you didn't talk to me anymore. I couldn't understand why. I couldn't recall saying or doing anything that would make you hate me, but you had new friends and decided to move on without me.

It's always hard when people move on without you. I remember that lesson well. You told me that when Jeffrey had rejected your advances when you were six or when Winifred decided to have a new best friend at age eight. They don't seem to realize or even care that they've hurt you or how deeply it impacts you.

Then you turned around and did the same thing to me.

I'm not writing this to call you a hypocrite or anything - just because I miss you.

I sit lonely in this cardboard box day after day. I just want for one day you to open this box, wondering of the contents, to see your smiling face again. To hear you cry 'Teddy' one last time before you pass me off to a child or a grandchild and tell them of all the wonderful times we shared. But maybe you forgot me completely. Maybe you'll never find me again.

I was always an optimist, so I'm going to keep hoping one day you need me again. Because I still need you.
Linda M. Crate is a Pennsylvanian native born in Pittsburgh, but she was raised in the rural town of Conneautville. She attended and graduated from Edinboro University of Pennsylvania with a degree in English-Literature in 2009. Her poetry, articles, reviews, and short stories have appeared in several journals online and in print. Her poetry chapbook A Mermaid Crashing Into Dawn was recently published by Fowlpox Press. Her novel Amethyst Epiphany is forthcoming from Assent Publishing under their imprint Phantasm Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment